Tuesday 23 August 2011

Why I Love Bristol








I always knew Bristol was a cool city. Even before I first went there. I mean, just listen to the music. I grew up listening to Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Roni Size, DJ Krust and many others. Pioneering musicians and artists all of them.

Of course, Bristol was also renowned for it's street art.

For a small-town Northern boy Bristol was vibrant and exciting - a place I was desperate to go to, to sample what it had to offer. I've been in the South west for over three years now, working in Bristol for over two years. The city really did live up to my expectations. It is vibrant. It is exciting. There is just so much going on all the time.

See No Evil encapsulates everything that is great about Bristol. A massively ambitous urban art project featuring graffiti/street art from some of the best artists in the world. It is supported by the City Council and other organisations and it is simply stunning to behold. I walked around the area on my lunch break today and was overwhelmed by the art that has been created by these amazingly talented people. The scale of the art is amazing - as can be seen by the photos below.

It was a unique experience to see crowds of people wandering around, stopping to stare up at high-rise buildings, and smiling at the sight of the art which has transformed these buildings into some of the most vibrant artworks I have ever seen.

Congratulations to everyone involved - the organisers, the sponsors, but most of all the artists. Inspiring.

You can see all the photos I took today on my Flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/7561209@N08/sets/72157627503121674/

Here is a sample -










No comments:

Post a Comment