Sunday 16 October 2011

The Walking Dead Season 2

Oh man. I was excited and looking forward to the start of Season 2 of The Walking Dead. After seeing the extended trailer I simply can't wait. It looks amazing. And frightening. And gory. And stunning. And frightening. Did I mention it looks frightening. I mean, Jesus, the trailer is terrifying.

I loved Season 1. For me it was one of the best shows on TV last year. I was already a fan of the comic book that the show is based on. Written by Robert Kirkman and illustrated by Cliff Rathburn and Charlie Adlard, The Walking Dead is one of the most intelligent, entertaining and affecting comic series I've ever read. I caught up with most of it through the trade paperbacks. Volume 8 of the trades was one of the most affecting things I have ever read. In terms of 'comic books' it is superlative. I have never read a page of a comic book as slowly as I did reading the scene with Tyrone and The Governor. The realisation of what was inevitably going to happen was shocking. I couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it. But no. They went and did it. And as for the rest of the book. It still haunts me.

As for the TV adaptation I had high hopes because of the involvement of Frank Darabont. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. From Andrew Lincoln's tour-de-force performance (and very convincing American accent) to the brutal special effects, the breakneck speed that the story moves along, together with the quiet, reflective moments, the cast of supporting characters (some familiar from the books, some new faces introduced for the TV adaptation), the heartbreak, the suspense, the drama, the horror. And the zombies. Well I had to use the word at some point. In the TV show the zombies are very frightening. They look horrendous. Greg Nicotero has done a marvelous job here and I'm so pleased he's continued on season 2. The whole thing was just brilliant. It was so much more than a TV show about zombies. So much more.

I implore you to watch it. Catch up on season 1, then get very excited for season 2. Trailer below.

http://www.fxuk.com/shows/the-walking-dead/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment